Machine Shop Assistant
Machine Shop Assistant
ATA Engineering, 13290 Evening Creek Drive South, San Diego, California 92128
ATA is seeking a motivated and organized individual with interest in modern technology and a fast-paced work environment to fill our new position of machine shop assistant. The position will support fabrication and testing activities for all types of mechanical hardware across a variety of industries, including themed entertainment, aerospace and defense, and industrial machinery. The successful candidate will be able to quickly adapt to new projects, support multiple concurrent projects, and collaborate frequently with small and medium-sized engineering teams. They will be detail oriented with logical thinking skills, and they will have mechanical aptitude and physical dexterity for common power and hand tool usage. Daily tasks include shop organization and upkeep, precision equipment maintenance, ensuring adherence to shop safety and quality protocols, low-quantity fabrication (both manual and CNC milling and turning), interpreting electrical and mechanical drawings, and following assembly and repair instructions.
For a highly motivated, detail-oriented individual, on-the-job training is available and a viable option for many of the tasks and equipment to be used. This is a full-time position (40 hours per week with benefits and occasional overtime). A part-time option may be considered. ATA is headquartered in San Diego, California, but serves clients globally.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform regular and unscheduled shop and machine maintenance tasks
- Maintain a safe and clean shop and engineering lab environment
- Manage tool and stock inventory and organization
- Support fabrication and machining (low quantity), assembly, and occasional repair of mechanical and electrical systems, according to engineering drawings, schematics, and work instructions
- Follow and enforce shop- and lab-related policies and processes
- Collaborate with engineering teams on lab reconfiguration projects
- Support engineering test setup, teardown, and instrumentation maintenance
- Maintain and track test equipment and prepare large shipments
- Perform equipment, part, and material receiving duties, including part inspection
- Ability to work safely in a laboratory test and metal machining/fabrication environment, lifting up to 50 lb of equipment, working with power electronics and electrostatic-discharge-sensitive equipment, and moving safely in environments with tight clearances or while working at heights.
The ideal candidate would have all of the following skills. A highly motivated but less-experienced candidate interested in learning these skills would also be considered.
- High school degree or equivalent minimum education
- One to three years of shop/lab maintenance or fabrication and assembly experience and/or equivalent educational or training classes in a relevant program
- Good verbal and written communication skills to help in working with technical teams and preparing clear and unambiguous documentation
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a US Person
Experience in any of the following areas is a plus:
- Machine tools (mill, lathe, drill press, etc.)
- Precision measurement instruments (micrometer, calipers, height gage, etc.)
- 2D/3D CAD software (e.g., SolidWorks or Siemens NX)
- Computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) software and/or G-code
- Soldering and cable and wire harness making
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
How to Apply
We appreciate your interest in ATA Engineering and request that you submit the following materials if you are qualified and wish to join our team of employee-owners at ATA Engineering:
- A current résumé or CV.
- Any relevant training program transcripts and/or certificates.
- If you have attended or graduated from college, a copy of your up-to-date college transcripts.
- If you have not attended college, a copy of your high school diploma or documentation of equivalent education.
- A statement confirming that you meet the definition of a US person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15.
Please note: we prefer electronic copies of all documents, but you may also mail them to the address below if necessary. If your transcripts or other documentation contains identifying information such as Social Security Number and/or date of birth, please delete this information prior to submitting the documents. Many of our contracts require access to government, defense, and classified information. We cannot consider your application unless you are a US Person. Unless you specifically state otherwise in your cover letter or email, you will be considered for all current openings at all ATA locations. Once we have reviewed your qualifications, you will be contacted by email regarding the status of your application.
Email all documents to [email protected]
Or mail them to:
Manager, Human Resources
ATA Engineering, Inc.
13290 Evening Creek Drive South
San Diego, CA 92128
ATA Engineering, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy or related medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact an ATA Engineering, Inc., Human Resources Representative at [email protected].